SPIER WINE ESTATE
VR310 Baden Powell Rd, Stellenbosch, Cape Town
Stellenbosch reigns as the land of award-winning wine estates, expansive tasting rooms, quaint streets, and fabulous dining, all of which edge up to the Jonkershoek Valley. Surrounded by mountains, this is roughly a 30-minute drive from Cape Town city central and boasting more than 150 wineries, Stellenbosch is a leisure travellers paradise, inviting visitors to explore beyond the region’s signature wines. Spier Wine Farm is an excellent wine estate in Stellenbosch, with restaurants, a pub, wine cellar, spa, tours, and plenty to do for a family outing. Home From Home‘s serviced self-catering accommodation is just a half hour drive from Stellenbosch. Many of our guests choose to stay at our self-catering apartments in De Waterkant, Cape Town City Central and Century City for it’s ease of access to the wine routes at Franschoek, Stellenbosch, and Durbanville. Our Guest Services team will assist with your booking and reservations for wine farms and the best of our locations to stay if you are making this a feature of your travels. Speak to our team if you would like to know more about visiting wine farms in Cape Town.
Sample award-winning wines paired with delicious food in the tasting room on the banks of the Spier dam. You can enjoy a set wine tasting with or without a food pairing, or order whatever you like with an olive, cheese, or cured meat board. Tastings are open daily from 10h00 – 16h30.
Spier offers a Children’s Grape Juice Tasting, where kids can enjoy 3 different grape juices and an educational activity sheet highlighting the role insects play in our vineyards.
Spier offers nature walks and Heritage walks which include and Audio tour of the Spier farmstead, and River Walks. Explore the beauty of this area in the seclusion of this renowned wine estate, or take a segway for a more adventurous experience.available.
- Spier is open on Sundays from 11am to 6pm!
- For families with kids, their Segway Tours are amazing! Glide through the vineyards, breeze through the champagne-like, balmy summer evening air. Peaceful and quiet. A Segway tour around the winelands at dusk is a great way to see the sun set on another perfect day in the Cape.
- Another wonderful family adveture awaits you at their birds of prey rehabilitatio centre. Enjoy up-close-and-personal interactions with eagles, hawks, falcons, owls, kites, buzzards, snakes and lizards. Take part in heart-stopping falconry displays, kids will also enjoy piglets, rabbits, tortoises, chickens and unique playground.
- On a nice sunny day, this is an excellent chance to book a picnic at Spier. You need to book your picnic in advance online, and they offer a seasonal and vegetarian option, made with local, natural and organic produce.
- Spier Wine Estate regulary hosts events and it’s worthwhile checking what’s on. Their Comedy in the Vines runs in the evenings and you can expect an evening of laughs with top South African comedians, some wine and a great summer picnic on the grass, under the stars. Gourmet picnic baskets and a bottle of their signature wine can be ordered.
- For a vintage experience of yesteryear, Spier has it’s own exclusive wooden vintage coach dating from 1922 that runs from a private station in Cape Town, directly to the farm in Stellenbosch.